i mad that in the “steve discovers pop culture” posts nobody mentions him losing his shit over animation like homie’s an artist and probably saw snow white as many times as he could. imagine him seeing Ariel’s hair float around in the little mermaid or all the weird partial 3D in Aladdin
and tony’s in the corner like “but sci fi and visual effects” and steve’s like shhh i’m trying to watch the hunchback of notre dame”
i always get shit when i talk about this but the reason i dont tag tw is bc
a) the term ‘trigger’ is meant to refer 2 those with PTSD those w severe anxiety and/or survivors of various forms of abuse it indicates an extreme reaction 2 certain stimulus like a panic attack/flashback/blackout caused by ur brain being unable to handle the resurgence of something horrific that happened to u
b) with that being said, i dont post triggering content. i havent talked about serious triggering shit on this blog for a long time in fact i think the last time i tagged smth was when i reblogged this youtube video about domestic abuse probs like 6 months ago nowadays i just reblog pretty pictures and make fun of anons
b) i get a thousand messages everyday from ppl suggesting i should tag shit like ‘spiders, ‘blood’, ‘feet’, ‘ghosts’, etc and it seriously pisses me off that u guys really believe ‘triggering’ equals ‘it makes me uncomfortable’ im not here to make tumblr a better place for u im not even getting paid man it’s ur responsibility to take care of yourself when it comes to these random ass ‘triggers’ if u cant see a gif of a ghost on ur dash you shouldn’t be online at all
d) in fact, ive come to the conclusion that demanding one of these lame ass trigger warnings it’s just a way 2 identify yourself as even more aware even more solicitous than the person who failed to ~adequately~ provide such a ridiculous warning. when i see ppl tagging ‘tw: spiders’ i cant help but think they are not demonstrating a sensitivity towards a topic but rather they just wanna be ‘seen’ doing so 2 demand that others ‘ought’ to do the same to validate one’s politics. this whole ’trigger’ business is less about protecting ppl from potentially re-traumatizing events and more 2 do with flagging up your right-on credentials even if it means silencing those who have actually gone through actual traumatizing events.
1. As someone with PTSD amongst other disorders, I assure you that is categorically untrue. Trigger is a term used by psychologists that refer to things including but not limited to: things that cause depressive and manic spirals, things that cause panic attacks (including phobias, like arachnophobia), things that cause suicidal ideation, things that cause self harm cravings, disordered eating cravings, dysphoric episodes, dissociation, dysmorphia, and self destructive behaviours. It’s used much the same way by the tumblr community who, by and large, encountered it’s use first through psychologists and therapists and decided to spread this to tumblr to create a safe space.
2. If someone has asked for a trigger warning, you’ve probably posted triggering content. You don’t know other people’s triggers. In fact, even restricted to PTSD, triggers can be odd precise things that have very personal associations (sometimes even associations the sufferer can’t understand) to the trauma they have suffered. That can even extend as far as colours!
3. Saying that people shouldn’t exist in spaces because they suffer from extreme mental health issues is outright ableist. Including odd phobias! That simple.
4. Trigger warnings can create an environment that is inaccessible to those who are uneducated on them, yes. That can become classist, ableist and exclusive. The way to deal with this is to educate people, not to throw the concept out the window.
And this is also a reminder that if you think someone is too sensitive you do NOT deliberately expose them to things to get past that, which is what you do when you refuse to tag people’s phobias. Because blacklists. YOU DO NOT PERFORM PSYCHOTHERAPY WITHOUT SOMEONES CONSENT.
50 Shades of Grey was originally fanfiction based on the Twilight series, which was then published as a novel (along with 2 subsequent books). It sold over 100 million copies around the world and topped best-seller lists everywhere. It’s about to be adapted into a film, set to come out early next year.
It follows a college student named Ana Steele, who enters a relationship with a man named Christian Grey and is then introduced to a bastardised and abusive parody of BDSM culture.
While the book is paraded as erotica, the relationship between Ana and Christian is far from healthy. The core mantra of the BDSM community is “safe, sane and consensual”, and 50 Shades is anything but. None of the rules of BDSM practices (which are put in place to protect those involved) are actually upheld. Christian is controlling, manipulative, abusive, takes complete advantage of Ana, ignores safe-words, ignores consent, keeps her uneducated about the sexual practices they’re taking part in, and a multitude of other terrible things. Their relationship is completely sickening and unhealthy.
Basically, “the book is a glaring glamorisation of violence against women,” as Amy Bonomi so perfectly put it.
It’s terrible enough that a book like this has been absorbed by people worldwide. Now, we have a film that is expected to be a huge box-office success, and will likely convince countless more young women that it’s okay not to have any autonomy in a relationship, that a man is allowed to control them entirely. It will also show many young men that women are theirs to play with and dominate, thus contributing to antiquated patriarchal values and rape culture.
Boycott this fucking movie, for the love of god. These kinds of ideas are dangerous and set us back as a society
EVERYONE WHO REBLOGS THIS POST BY AUGUST 20TH WILL GET A PIECE OF ART IN THERE INBOX BASED ON THEIR BLOG
The last three Disney films that starred POC were the Emperor’s New Groove in 2000, Brother Bear in 2003 and Princess and the Frog in 2009.
What did they have in common?
- When did you join Tumblr?: February 2012
- Why did you join Tumblr?: because I wanted to have people to talk to about my interests
- What kind of blog do you have?: a multi-fandom blog
- How many posts do you have?: 22,215
- How many likes do you have?: 36,924
- How many messages do you have?: 0
- How many blogs do you follow?: 382
- How many followers do you have?: 286
- How often do you change your theme?: rarely
- How often do you change your icon?: whenever I get bored
- List all the urls you’ve ever had: drsherlockpotter,girl-with-the-books
- Do you track any tags?: my url
- Do you have any favourite blogs?:farewellandfuckyou
- Do you often hit post limit?: nah
- Do you ever send anonymous messages to other people?: sometimes,
- Do you ever get anon hate?: i’m not important enough for that
- Have you made any friends on Tumblr?:sort of??
- What’s the most notes you’ve ever had on a post?: 300 i think
- What’s your favourite thing about Tumblr?: learning new stuff
- What’s your least favourite thing about Tumblr?: the very toxic environment that can spring up
My youngest brother and I got new tattoos, but can provide Very Few Details as to their meaning, except to say: the world is quiet here.
SINCE U BEEN GONE !!!!!!!!!!!! (since u been gone) I CAN BREATHE FOR THE FIRST TIME IM SO MOVING ON (ya ya) THANKS TO YOU (thanks to you) NOW I GET (now i get) I GET WHAT I WAAAAAAAAAANT
am i bisexual? am i pansexual? am i gay? well officer mostly i’m just sad
Holy shit, Lifehackable posted something useful.
Except Rohypnol isn’t salty - GHB and other date rape drugs are kinda salty, but Rohypnol isn’t
Rohypnol is BITTER. If your drink is saltier, it’s GHB, if it’s bitter it’s Rohypnol.
Either way, keep safe, friends.
No, I did not. However, there is more to the story than that. Well, the rule is that boys and girls are not allowed in each other’s rooms. However, my group (4 girls (including me) and 2 boys) had all been in my room. Me and swimmer boy ended up lying on one of the beds. Then the other four decided to go out for a walk, leaving me and swimmer boy alone. We just held hands and talked. But it was getting towards 11ish and the leaders realised people were missing. The came and knocked on my door and swimmer boy had to grab his shoes and literally jump out the window onto the roof. I let the coach in who was a bit pissed off at first, but after checking the room and bathroom was perfectly lovely. Once the coaches left my corridor, swimmer boy snuck out through my room to an adjoining corridor. However, he got caught and interrogated about where he was. We thought we got away with it but the next morning we both got a warning about “breaking the rules” and our parents were told about our “behaviour” neither of our parents really cared though so it was all right.
The only current problem is that we never actually spoke about what happened. It was that ridiculous way people end up holding hands in movies though. slowly inching hands closer and closer. I’m almost actually glad we didn’t kiss cause I feel that might have almost ruined the innocence of the whole thing.
Or actually if my coach finds out he will probably kill me.
Sorry I took so long to reply, I was on holiday and I wanted to answer this via laptop rather than mobile.
Thanks :) yeah, i realise it’s likely not personal, it’s just sorta one of those days. We’re not really sure what’s wrong with my cousin (she’s 8) but we are suspecting some sort of panic disorder and/or anxiety disorder. She’s been having some minor panic attacks and she is really anxious a lot. It’s quite worrying. I really want to help but i don’t know what i can do and thinking about her possibly ending up the way I did about a year ago, terrifies me.